Prepare for the ultimate guide of enjoying Batanes. Here we go!!!
What not to miss?
PLUS some random bonus tips
Hello Batanes! It has been 3 years since we’ve seen each other. You don’t know how much I miss you BUT I DO! I DO! I DO MISS YOU SOOO SOOO MUCH! This time I’ll be with you for 7 days! Most people think traveling to Batanes is expensive YES it can be, but it can be cheap too. So how did I get to travel Batanes for less than Php1,000 ($22) a day and actually not hurry to go where I wanna go and just enjoy and relax and have some adrenaline rush adventure too? Well here’s the secret READ ON ^_^
First major thing to know there are 3 major island in Batanes: Batan (this is where the airport is and can be divided by 2 tours North[half day] and South[whole day]), Sabtang, Itbayat (go here the next day if you really plan to go to this island and to avoid being stuck [more of this later]) For Batan Island and Sabtang you can rent a room without air conditioning for 200-300 a day. And for the Php300 you can have the best room in the world! You have some of these options: A view of the beach, sunset, sunrise, or the stars from the window of your room. If you are good in finding the perfect room you can even have all that in one room.
I prepared 3 ITI for Batanes but before thawouI’m going to give some tips and a list of things hopefully you won’t miss.
ULTIMATE TIP: I have been to Batanes twice and I have experience tours from different locals. I'm suggesting 2 of my trusted tour local provider
(1) Batanes tour by an Ivatan via tricycle (trike) THIS IS AWESOME!!! If you want to see Batanes in a local Ivatan’s view Contact Kuya Oliver Javier 09208855643. He is the Ultimate Guide of Batan, Batanes! Kind, funny, generous, handsome (tell him you got his number from Weekend Lakwatsero) Tell him you can’t wait for the story for the magical cherries, Spanish bread and the meowing cat! And ohh he got you covered for your Sabtang Tour too, he knows many people from there too! You can actually stop reading my blog he got you covered. KIDDING! Haha read on!!!
(2)Local Tour via Van/Multicab/Motor Bike (3rd one is AWESOME TOO!!!) Carlos “Carling” Asa 09264694994 he may have been one of the descendant of the Augustinian (ok not the priest!)
(3)Local tour via ATV THIS IS AWESOME!!! Batan Tour Jover Vargas 09054988003, 09985519656
The best thing about the 3 is they can wait for you no matter how long you want to stay in one place! Plus they can take your photos too!
***WHAT NOT TO MISS***
Things most tourist forgetting to do in Batanes
FOOD!!! NEVER miss to try the local foods. No diets allowed! DON’T MISS the flying fish, pakak tipuho and the other local foods
1. Fishing: Borrow a fishing rod from anyone who is fishing at Mahatao or Basco port.
2. Bike + ATV + Trike + Jeepney rides. You may opt to bike at night time it’s cold but use proper safety signal lights
3. Top load at jeepney (safe?)
4. SUNRISE, SUNSET, STARS/MILKY WAY: Lay around the beach for hours(find a good coconut tree for shade/rock), also wait for the sunset, and the stars to come out
5. Roam around the town buy some local breads, bbq, kwekwek, halo-halo, banana wrapped in crunchy sugary rolls
6. Talk with locals in sari sari store/bbq stall
a. Lay or sit for one hour or more on one of those green hills and just relax
b. Songsong Ruins: There’s a free hammock
c. Milky way (stars) during the night and early morning
d. If you get lucky you can opt to sleep near the famous tour spots
8. Cook your own food. Buy flying fish (Php10 EACH hahaha!) Buy organic eggplant, tomato,
9. it’s more of not doing but a BLESSING: Free food (by a baker), free bike ride(from local sari sari store), free ROOM (Than you Sir Jover!!!), almost free room (I love you Mahatao)! Just be naturally you and you’ll experience the kindness of Batanes people
10. LASTLY never miss to smile and great good morning NO MATTER HOW SHY YOU ARE.